Nov 20, 2008

Whales at Morro Bay

Estero Bay and other nearby coastal areas are great places to see whales. I spend lots of time out on the water so I have had many whale encounters since I began ocean sailing in 2002.
During my first 3 sailing years I kept a count of whales. I saw more than 100 within ½ mile of the boat, close enough to easily see the blow and hear it on days when the wind wasn’t blowing strongly. About 20 times the whale was within 100 yards and 3 passed less than 20 feet away.
The funniest encounter was when I looked down into the water next to the boat and saw a baby Gray Whale emerge from just below the keel. I looked him in the eye and he looked me in the eye. Just as soon as he was clear of the boat he exploded into a frenzy of tail flapping trying to get away, like some huge dolphin swimming fast.
Another time I looked off to the starboard side and saw a Humpback (40 feet away) rolling over to dive and headed directly towards us. I held on and watched as it passed directly under the boat, perhaps 10 feet below the keel.
The most aggressive encounter was with another Humpback. This time I saw “whale footprints” on the water surface headed towards us, then a blast of bubbles from under water, and then the whale (a full size whale, let me tell you!) broke the water about 20 feet behind the stern. The whale’s back was there for 2 seconds (almost within petting distance) and then it was gone from sight.
Another time up by Pt. Piedras Blancas I saw a whale some distance away. I got my camera but the photos at this distance didn’t show much. The whale disappeared and I put the camera away. Then 3 minutes later the whale surfaced about 50 yards away and was swimming parallel with the boat. Then her baby surfaced between her and the boat. Obviously mother had brought baby over to have a look at the sailboat!
One day I was nearly becalmed and Humpbacks swam all around me, some passing within 50 yards.

















On another day a whale put on a tail-slapping display. I should mention that my camera is not suited for taking action pictures (there is a long shutter delay) so these photos are some of the few that I tried to take that actually showed a whale.





Whale Watching!













If you want to go whale watching I recommend the boat from Marina Square (where I keep Evening Tide). Their catamaran gives a smoothride and you are close to the water (and to the whales!). Kevin always seems to find whales and gives the passengers a close look.

No comments: